Thursday, August 23, 2007

Chocolate Sheet Cake


Wow, it's been a while since my last post. Lately I've been trying to stay off sugar, I'd been doing pretty well but unfortunately suffered a relapse yesterday. I really wanted some chocolate cake and haven't been able to get it out of my mind so I gave in and made a chocolate sheet cake, aka Texas sheet cake.


I tried to make it a little healthier with wheat flour, yogurt and organic cane sugar and made only half the recipe. It was delicious, so good I had to post it. It has quite a bit of sugar in it but surprisingly didn't taste that sweet, ahem, maybe except for the frosting.


Here's the halved modified recipe. Surprisingly quick and easy, surprisingly good.

Chocolate Sheet Cake

1 sticks butter
2 heaping tablespoons cocoa (I used organic fair trade from TJ's)

1/2 cup boiling water


1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 cup organic cane sugar
pinch salt

1/4 cup yogurt (I used greek)
1 beaten egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a saucepan, melt butter then add cocoa and mix well. Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat.

Combine flour, sugar and salt. Pour cocoa mixture over flour mixture, and mix gently to cool.


Combine yogurt, egg, soda and vanilla. Stir mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into greased 9 inch cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cake will pull slightly away from sides and a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean. Spread frosting over cake while warm.

Frosting

3/4 sticks butter
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 oz. organic cane sugar, powdered

1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Melt butter. Remove from heat. Add milk, vanilla and sugar. Mix well. Add pecans and mix well.

tags:

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com