Saturday, November 26, 2005

I yam what I yam.


I was at the chinese supermarket recently and saw some "chinese yams". I love to see so many different varieties of fruits and veggies. I wasn't sure what was different about a "chinese yam". I know the japanese sweet potato is wonderful, tastes like a cross between a potato and a chestnut.

I got a few and boiled them up. They were good but I was a little disappointed, I didn't notice any difference between them and the regular supermarket variety, maybe a little softer, more tender.

I had a couple leftover so I used them to make a yam tart. Kind of like a sweet potato pie in a tart form.

Yam Tart

1/2 lb. yam (boiled, cooled and skin removed)
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

1. Line the tart pan with the unbaked pie crust. Trim the edges.

2. In the bowl of food processor, combine yam, butter, sugar, milk, egg, and spices. Pulse until mixed well. Add additional milk as necessary. Pour filling into unbaked tart shell.

3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40-50 minutes, or until filling is set. Tart will puff up slightly and settle as it cools. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com